Tuesday 5 January 2010

An Appetizer - Part 1: Top Ten Films Of 2007

*ORIGINALLY POSTED 04/01/08*

I'm sure many of these choices will come as little surprise to most people.

10) Ratatouille - Another pretty much perfect dish from Pixar.

9) Black Book - A smutty war film; need I say more?

8) Superbad - I've never been overly impressed with any of this new comedy collective du jour's stuff yet, but this had me cracking up.

7) Death Proof - I liked it.

6) Hallam Foe - Mining a Catcher In The Rye/disaffected youth vibe which seems to really strike with me. And it's in Edinburgh.

5) The Darjeeling Limited - Perfect balance of the sentimental and mental.

4) 2 Days In Paris - More than just Before Sunrise/Sunset Redux. Has a lot to say and has some extra resonance for me dealing with intercultural relationships.

3) No Country For Old Men - Not technically released in the UK in '07, but I saw it in NYC and I'll be damned if I'm waiting until this time next year to include it.

2) This Is England - Tense at tiimes, funny at others. Full of 80s nostalgia without resorting to kitsch.

1) Hot Fuzz - for sheer fun and endless re-watchability.



Honourable mentions: The Bourne Ultimatum, The Science Of Sleep, Eagle vs Shark, The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford, The Lives Of Others, Babel, Planet Terror, Into The Wild, Sunshine, 3:10 To Yuma

The worst of the year would certainly include: Sleuth, Good Luck Chuck, Outlaw, I Want Candy, Across The Universe, Halloween, Rise Of The Footsoldier, St. Trinian's, Transformers

No comments:

Post a Comment